LNO Banner

LNO Banner
WE'RE WATCHIN DA ANIME

Friday, May 2, 2014

Sword Art Online: Mid series reflection


I told you during my first few episode reflections that the series barely had me looking forward to the next episode.  It got me.  It took it some time but it managed to grab me by the feels deep down in my kokoro 心。  They introduced a romance arc... but before we get there...

First the things I get to say I told you so about: Kirito was the typical anime loner.  And then he tried to break out of that behavior and the plot jammed a spike in his introverted soul.  I'm debating whether this blog will have spoilers or just focus on feedback, but that's a decision for later so I'll avoid the from now. Also the themes circle around Lord of the Flies type emergences, while all the denizens of sword art online try to cope with their entrapment.  A theme I hadn't quite expected that Kirito gets to give us:  No matter how bad things are and can get:  enjoy life, don't let it get these situations get the best of you.  Enjoy the beauty around you.  And that's a theme I can get behind.

The show meanders through various short one or two episode stories of the citizentry coping.  Kirito plays a star roll and during the first half of the series, you see two years go by with him doing his best with the life he's been given.  You get to meet different characters each shaping Kirito's personality and growth in a different way.  The big punch in the face for Kirito is Asuna.  And here the most basic cliché story line is introduced and I personally thank them for it, because what story isn't complete with out a good romance. 

Two things here, and then I'm going to watch a few more episodes tonight. 

Understand the target audience for the show - 12-16 year old males would be my guess, though its not so masculine in themes that females shouldn't have a hard time appreciating it.  I bring this up to comment on the delivery of the themes and what the artist is trying to tell us.  The delivery is simple and doesn't go to far beyond skin deep. It never hits any real lows, and the highest highs are in my opinion more of a walk in the park with the one you love (Asuna ドキドキ).  Its enjoyable, and maybe it s just my age talking (おじいさんじゃない!) but I've seen deliveries better. I've had my feels pulled harder.  And that's probably what's keeping this anime as a top ranking one in my book.

My favorite aspect, if you couldn't have guessed, is the relationship between Asuna and Kirito.  But mostly just Asuna.  Her line towards the midseries finale, "君をまもるよ!” brings it home.  For those finding my random Japanese obnoxious, "I will protect you."  The great part is she has the guts, skill, and abilities to do it.  The love between Asuna and Kirito is born from a mutual respect of each others abilities and values.  Again the delivery is fairly superficial but you couldn't want a better model of love.  Asuna is Kirito's hero, and likewise he is hers.  If you can't say the same of a relationship you are in, please take a moment and take this one thing from this anime.

Well if you havn't started Sword Art Online its watchable, even enjoyable. If you have and you want to watch with me I'll be tweeting comments on #latenightotaku and #swordartonline.

If you think I got it wrong, or want to add to the conversation, please leave me a comment.  じゃね

No comments:

Post a Comment