LNO Banner

LNO Banner
WE'RE WATCHIN DA ANIME

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My Little Monster: First Impressions


Soooo... Where to start?  どこにはじまるの?  

I think its pretty common that you have to give an anime 2 good episodes before you pass judgment.  Don't know how that works in japan - if the series premier always ends up being a one hour special or something, because I really don't know how they would draw their fan base in otherwise.  Then again so many anime are adaptations of manga and light novels that maybe you just don't have that problem, what with the established fan base.

I'm glad I did wait around because as usual I'm pleasantly surprised.  If you watch any other slice of life type anime revolving around a romantic relationship, the formula is pretty stock.  Hell, its pretty stock even if its not an anime.  We take one girl, who meets a boy. Eventually she'll lose that boy to something I'm sure and then we'll see her get that boy back.  Its not the formula that's so important really, its the journey and what the artist/author has to say about life in general while we get there.

This story's premise takes a not so interesting lead female character, Mizutani Shizuku, and matches her up an over the top bad boy, Haru I can't remember his last name because its too late at night.  Mizutani only wants to study, to be top in her class.  No they don't tell us why.  But her passion at this goal is so deep she ignores people and activity for this sole purpose.  She is "dry ice."  Haru, on the other hand, is explosively passionate.  Haru has gotten in enough fights in the first three episodes to do Goku proud.  Then there is the odd way he acts and things he says to Mizutani, which borderline on certifiable. Again, they don't tell us why, and at least in the first three episodes it remains a mystery as to his eccentric nature.  Though the third episode had a cliffhanger that made us wonder...  

Trying to figure out what Haru will do next, watching Mizutani work out her feelings, and meeting the cast of characters that help each discovery mean something, is what moves this anime along.  And because I like to comment on the deeper side of shows, I can say this one seems pretty shallow thus far.  For a feel good high school setting I guess there's nothing wrong with that.  Closed in Mizutani discovering the importance of living life beyond a book and watching both main characters learn the value of friendship gets you measuring your own relationships against a more true yardstick.  Because that's what a good story does for you right?  Reminds you of the values you use to measure your life by?  In more youthful days I think this stick is unfairly measured.  Its "idealistic" but not measured by reality.  When we watch shows like this when we're younger, we go "that's how I want love and friendship to be."  And then when you're an おじさん like me you see a yardstick that you use to use.  Maybe you wish it was closer to its old cut, or maybe you think hey, I've remained pretty true.  But that's what a good show will make you think.  We'll see how good this anime is in the end.

I'll finish this series pretty quickly as its light viewing, and I hope you join me on twitter and facebook at #latenightotaku or the respective fan page. Thanks again and as always, if you think I got it wrong or have your own comments, please leave a post!

また 明日

No comments:

Post a Comment