LNO Banner

LNO Banner
WE'RE WATCHIN DA ANIME

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Sword Art Online First Impressions

Blogging watching an anime is different then writing a review... I hope I do this entertainingly enough.

My first impression of Sword Art Online took two episodes two put my mind around.  In short, I want to watch a third, but not as enthusiastically as some anime have been able to pull me in. 

The world of Sword Art Online is intriguing.  Its much like dot Hack - so we've seen the premise before.  Players get stuck in a virtual world.  Thematically it appears that its going to go fairly dark; How is it that people react during a social experiment in which their lives are on the line in a fantasy world. 

Soooo... First episodes neh?  The first episode seemed to attempt to lay the premise out and let you meet the main character. He is the archetypal loner nice guy.  He enthusiastically embraces the alternate reality of Sword Art Online and directly says so to another character.  He appears like he is going to represent the idea of someone who is an expert of fantasy; In his journey through the fantasy world I wouldn't be surprised if he discovers a great deal about friendship, relationships and reality.

To further the theme, and so as to not get into too much spoilers, I want to bring up a sight gag at the end of the episode. Upon being thrown into the world, the players are all returned from their game avatars into their real life forms.  There were quite many female players that revealed male avatars (expected but humors none the less.)  Additionally older players appeared where younger ones were moments before.  And of course physique wise much the same.The secondary character didn't change much at all; Makes me think he is going to represent honesty, forthrightness and such later on. 

The second episode continues themes of relationships and social experimentnessishes.  The beta- testers of the game, with their previous experience, are painted as bad guys.  The beta testers have used their knowledge to get a leg up and not die during the game.  Our main character, Kirito, was a beta tester and until the end of the episode hides this fact. 

The plot is moving slowly, while the episodes themselves are fairly slow, so I'm interested in episode three because I don't feel like I've watched much and I"m wondering where else they are going to take this fairly already done story.  We'll see.

Think I got anything wrong? Get a different impression?  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment